Teacher Leadership Program
The Dakota Dreams Teacher Leadership Academy offers teachers who have taught for three+ years an experience-based learning opportunity to further develop their educational leadership skills and explore administrative roles and responsibilities in schools. Teachers who successfully complete the course will earn three graduate credits that may be applied toward an advanced degree in education at a South Dakota public university.
Courses will be taught by Professor Practice faculty (qualified retired superintendents of schools) and guest speakers. Among other things, participants will:
- Discover the areas of education leadership that best fit them.
- Gain insight into what educational leadership entails.
- Learn about requirements for certification.
- Better understand themselves and how to lead all personality types.
- Develop strategies for building and maintaining effective teams.
Dakota Dreams Teacher Leadership Academy will run during the 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 school years and will accept 60 students in the first year and another 90 students in its second year. This academy is provided at NO COST to teachers, thanks to funding provided by the South Dakota Department of Education. School districts will be provided a stipend to support expenses related to participation in this program (i.e., substitute teacher costs and travel expenses).